Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Getting Started

We have decided on most of the crops that we will plant this season.  The obvious, tomato's, beans, cucumbers, lettuce, squash, carrots and herbs.  What we are trying to figure out is what to do with the second acre, if we choose to take it.  We don't want to get too over our heads, so it needs to be a low maintenance crop.  Meaning we don't want to grow an acre of weeds.  Is there something that any of you know of that grows "like" a weed?  Strawberries I heard is good, but will it over grow weeds?

Going organic means no chemicals.  I have been researching the natural way of spraying weeds.  Vinegar!  Who knew what a revelation vinegar was?  I knew you could put it on the icky stuff that grows on your fridge where the water comes out, or the coffee machine of it's gunk (common now you all know what I mean)  but it also will kill weeds.  Now you can't use household vinegar as it only has 5% of acetic acid. But, by distilling, a 15% concentration can be obtained, and a 30% concentration can be obtained by freeze evaporation. These concentrated acetic acids, if they are derived from plant sources and not from chemicals, are acceptable for agricultural use by the organic community. Vinegar will decrease the pH of the soil somewhat, but within 48 hours the pH balance is back to its original state. It is also a biodegradable product.

I plan to try this by spraying some of the dandelions that dare to come up on my lawn.  I will use the household vinegar though as I am impatient and want to see if it works now! Studies show that it may take a couple of applications so I will try and let you know.. Yes, I am still a photographer at heart so I will have before and after pictures.  I look forward to hearing your suggestions and advice on the second acre and if you want to pass on any advice on large scale growing....

5 comments:

  1. Suzi, this sounds great! I think if you use black plastic and drip line you can do a bunch to also control weeds. I like the strawberries as they are always good sellers, and great to eat, make jam, freeze, etc. I know in central Calif. they use the black plastic and drip lines for strawberries. I hope it all works well for you good luck!

    Bub

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a brown thumb, so no advice here, but I can't wait to see it come together. Good luck Suzi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't do strawberries. In Indiana they just don't get large enough or sweet enough. The idea posted by Wendall using a weed barrier is a good idea. Grow a variety of hot peppers. They are very easy to grow in Indiana. Are you doing green beans? How bout some Swanson Sweet Corn? Did you get the lot you were talking about behind our hood? Can't wait to try your veges & herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree California strawberries are so yummy, but I have not had much luck with them here. They just don't yeild a lot. Yes, I have peppers and beans. Steve wants to stay away from sweet corn, but I think it's a good idea. Everyone loves corn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am interested to see if the vinager kills weeds. Is it safe for everything else?

    ReplyDelete