Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Finding the Land

As I am on the south side of 40, I believe it is time to get healthy. Steve and I have decided to go back to his roots, he grew up on a farm, and go back to the basics.  We feel that growing local, chemical free produce is the future.

So where do we begin?  If you know my husband, then it begins with A LOT of research.  Reading other bloggers and following the principles of SPIN farming.  Me, I just want to grow what I like and get to it.  So maybe between the two of us we will be able to get something started.

We have found a place about 2 blocks from our home.  PERFECT!  We can walk there!  No carbon footprint coming from our farm.  I have contacted the owner of the land and he is willing to rent us an acre or two.  We will meet with him this week and hopefully get to preparing the land this weekend, weather permitting.

Steve did mention last night at dinner that he felt we should test the soil so we know what nutrients will need to go back into the land.  Good idea!  So, this week we will meet with the owner and plot out the acre, test the soil, and till.  Piece of cake!





No comments:

Post a Comment